Rationale & Principles
At Oasis Academy Brislington we are working to develop students' ability to work independently and to be successful at anything they apply themselves to in their lives. We know that obtaining good grades at GCSE will open doors in the future for them, and we believe that having regular homework improves the grades students are likely to obtain whilst developing independence, which will lead to success in future studies and careers.
How much and how often is Homework set?
- Years 7 & 8: One piece of homework in most subjects once per week, except in History, Geography and RPE when homework is set fortnightly.
- Years 9, 10 & 11: One piece of homework per subject every week.
What does Homework look like?
Most homework assignments will utilise online learning platforms, however some subjects may set paper-based homework as well. If a student has a question or issues logging on to access online learning, please contact the school by email at email@example.com or call 0117 377 2055.
The online learning platforms your child may need to access are:
• Username follows this format:
• year your child joined, last name, letter of first name
• For example: The username for Jane Doe in year 7 would be 20DoeJ
• Password: students should have written this in their planners. If your child has not written the password in their planner and they have forgotten what it is, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0117 377 2055
Seneca Learning: https://senecalearning.com/en-GB/
• This is set up using the email of your child’s choice. This means that your child can request a password reset directly from the website.
Sam Learning: https://www.samlearning.com/
• Contact the subject teacher directly to reset the password.
• If you don’t know who the subject teacher is, email email@example.com with your child’s name and the subject. Your request will be forwarded to the relevant teacher.
• If your child forgets their password they can request their password reset through the website.
• This sends a message to their teacher who will then reset the password.
Covid_19 Homework Schedule
We appreciate that the national lock-down will have had an impact on student learning habits. To support the learning habits and well-being of our students we have put in place a schedule that will demand an ever-increasing time commitment.
Students need to aim to achieve a minimum of 80% on their online homework assignments, but are not expected to spend any longer on the assignment than the allocated time.
Years 7 & 8 – 1 ½ hours per evening by the end of the year
Click HERE to see a copy of the Years 7 & 8 Homework schedule
Years 9 & 10 - 2 hours per evening by the end of the year
Click HERE to see a copy of the Year 9 & 10 Homework schedule
Year 11 - More than 2 hours per evening by the end of the year
Click HERE to see a copy of the Year 11 Homework schedule
All students who complete all of their homework each term and do not receive any ‘non-completion’ homework logs will be entered into year group prize draws for termly prizes.
Additionally, all children entered into this draw will receive a certificate from their SPL congratulating them on the effort they have put in to their home learning.
Non-Completion of Homework
Each time a student does not complete a piece of homework, the class teacher logs it. These logs will be tracked by the SPLs and the Academy Leadership Team and if this is a regular occurrence, interventions will be put in place to support the student to complete their homework. This can include the student needing to attend a Homework REACH club after school to ensure that their home learning is completed each week.